MAKING THE CAR
Designing and manufacturing the car is only a small segment of this challenge, but it was one of the most rewarding. We worked with new software and machines, giving us many new experiences. That was probably the best part of the challenge... all the new experiences and the people we met.
To create our engineering drawings and 3D renderings we used ProDesktop. It was a program Damon had some knowledge of. We had to follow 23 pages of specifications while designing the car. perhaps our greatest difficulty was just knowing where to start.
3D CAD DESIGN
Designing the car without any previous knowledge of what F1 was difficult to say the least. The actual designing of the car was done by trial and error. We looked at examples of F1 cars from previous competitions of F1 in Schools. Most of the knowledge of how to use the CAD software was acquired as Damon was designing the car. He created three different designs before settling on the final.
NOSE & WING DESIGNS
Designing the nose ans wing was extremely difficult for us. We kept trying to make them to complicated. After 5-6 re-designs for each object we decided to keep it basic and simple. This concept seemed to work for us this year.
Origionally we planned on machining the nose and wings on the CNC router. Quickly we found out that was not going to work. We ordered a Orion 3D printer and put Franki and Sheldon to work assembling and setting it up. They quickly figued it out and began the 3D printing procress, printing the nose, wing and wheels.
CAM & CNC MACHINING
Creating the tool strategies during the CAM process went very smooth. It is when Darrius was setting up the F1 fixture in the CNC router is when things go complicated. He had to cut about 10 different blanks before getting the desired results.
PREPARING FOR FINISH
Extreme care had to be taken during the finish process. Sanding a little to much hear or there could knock a segment of the car out of tolerance, thus causing us to lose much needed point during the scruitineering procress.
After appling several coats of sealer, sanding between each coat we put on two light coats of primer. Again a light sanding, finally several coats of paint, and apply the water slide decals that we designed.
COMPLETED F1 CAR
After hours and hours of work we had a two finished cars. They were heavier than we wanted, but we finished. We are now ready to rave!